Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Doorbell

I don't want to share my day today, so I'll tell you what happened the other day instead.

Years ago we bought a doorbell and two push buttons for his mom.  We put the bell upstairs in the hallway and one button on the wall by the chair she spends her day in and the other one on the night table next to her bed.  So, if she had a problem in either location, she'd just have to push the doorbell and we'd hear her. It broke awhile back and I threw away the doorbell and the two buttons remained where they were, until I decided to throw them away the other day. 

Taking one off I accidently pushed the button.  From somewhere in the distance I heard a doorbell.  I push it again - it rings again.  Now I'm really confused, as I was sure I threw it away.  (You need to know that this doorbell doesn't just chime ... ding, dong.  It rings:  Ding, dong, ding, dong. Ding, dong, ding, dong. x2)

I go into the garage thinking it got put out there and push the button several times.  Nothing.  I went back into the house and stood near an open window and pushed several more times.  That's when I realized that someone was yelling next door and their front door kept opening and shutting.  I pushed the button again - sure enough, the sound came from next door and the yelling got louder.  "What the heck!  Who's ringing our doorbell?  Where are they? Etc., etc., etc."

I went outside and over to their yard and pushed the button again (OK, that really wasn't necessary, but I was having such fun!).  More yelling.  Finally I knocked on their door and explained the situation.  My neighbor wasn't impressed, but I gave her the button and told her she could have an extra. 

As an afterthought, I should have kept it and not told them the story.  You see, almost every day my neighbor lets her cat out and he doesn't like to come in.  So, she bangs on a pan and yells his name.  Surprise, he doesn't come.  I should have kept the button and when she began her cat-calling, I'd push the button! 

No comments:

Post a Comment