Sunday, August 28, 2011

Reading

I have read books for as long as I can remember.  I take after my mom, who used to inhale books and had quite the extensive home "library".  I, too, have quite the library in our home, and keep adding to it.  Now that we have an iPad and I have an iPhone, I've enjoyed downloading certain books.  Free ones are always the best.  I must say, though, that reading a book on an iPhone is a bit challenging.  The print is oh, so small,  and I read so fast (who wouldn't on a small screen?) that I have to keep swiping the screen to turn the pages.  It gets a little tiring.  When Bill is done with the iPad, I can switch to reading it on that.  I've decided that I enjoy the paperback book the best. 

Over the years I have read for enjoyment and learning.  I have also realized that I have read to escape reality.  Some days the only way I could cope was by reading a novel and visiting someone else's life.  That really doesn't sound very healthy, does it? 

After Bill was diagnosed with cancer, I was unable to read for months.  For some reason, I just couldn't.  I'm not sure why, since you'd think that I would definitely want to escape the reality of living with cancer.  Over the past several months I've begun to read a little more.  I don't think it's a way of escape anymore.  I'm back to reading for the sheer enjoyment of the printed word, and it feels very good to relax and enjoy something I truly like to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment