Saturday, May 28, 2011

An Emotional Morning

Jon and I met Diane and Randie for breakfast before we went to the cemetery to pay the rest on Mom's headstone, which was in and ready to be installed.  As we drove in the parking lot there were about a dozen Veteran Honor Guards waiting to present at a funeral.  That was emotional and made me think of all the millions of men and women who have died so that we can be free today.  The Veteran's section was a sea of flags on graves.  Many people were also putting flowers on graves. 

We drove to the back of the cemetery and made sure all was well with the headstone.  It seemed so final to see my mom's name, date of birth and date of death.  We then went to the gravesite where our cemetery representative, Richard, cleaned off dad's headstone and placed a flag on it.  As we were standing there, the Veteran Honor Guards shot off their rifles in tribute to the Veteran.  The morning was just too emotional for me.  I had a hard time there and the rest of my day had a shadow of grief over me.  I know that grieving is important for healing, but I won't let it overtake my life each day.  I'll be better in the morning.

Bill had a pretty good day.  He put together a new patio table and chair set and lounged around a bit.  We enjoyed sitting outside this afternoon on our new furniture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment