Thursday, January 28, 2016

My Princess

Tomorrow I am donating my wedding gown and my mother's wedding gown to Angels Above Baby Gowns. It is an organization that turns wedding gowns into beautiful burial gowns for infants that never make it home from the hospital. They make the gowns, ornaments, burial wraps, blankets, and other things for parents. This organization has also raised funds for a Cuddle Cot, which is used in hospitals for parents to spend extra time with their babies before taken to the funeral home.

I think every mother would like her daughter to wear her wedding gown when she gets married. I know my mom did. I must have told her I wanted to wear her gown when I married because she was very disappointed when I chose not to. There really wasn't a choice, though, as I never would have fit into it. She was skinny when she married. I was not.

After my wedding I had my gown cleaned and stored in a special box that sat under my bed for almost 33 years. When Jessie was born I knew she would never wear it. Tonight I "made" Jessie wear my hat and veil for a few minutes. She said, "Princess", and seemed happy to put it on. That made me happy. I love her smile, don't you?

Tonight I got the gowns ready for tomorrow. I'm a little sad, but if our gowns will give some grieving parents joy in being able to bundle their baby in such a beautiful gown for their burial, I'm not that sad. After all, I brought my babies home.

No comments:

Post a Comment