Monday, October 31, 2011

What NOT To Do When Shopping With Jessie

As you know, Monday's are Girls Day Out.  We generally go out to lunch and then a store or two.  We have a good time together.  Today I learned what NOT to do the next time we shop.

All day long I have had difficulty walking.  My left hip and knee hurt and my legs feel very weak.  Today was a day I needed the electric wheelchair in order to make it around Target.  I've used it many times, but not with Jessie.  Since she usually clings to my arm, I wasn't sure how I was going to keep track of her.  First she tried the back of my coat, then the arm rests, then the basket.  None worked, so I used my right hand to propell the cart and held her hand with my left hand. 

All seemed to go well until I spotted a good deal on a case of water.  I stopped and got out of the cart and turned to get the case of water when I heard her say: "Jessie tired.  Sit now."  I turned around and she was in the cart and had her finger on the throttle and aiming for the aisle. 

You know how sometimes people say they see their whole life flash before them, well I didn't get a flash of my life, but instantly got a flash of the past and one of the possible present.  Years ago when we were at Family Camp Jess got on a friend's golf cart with me and before I could do anything, her foot was on the "gas" peddle and we were off!  I couldn't get her foot off and we were headed for people and the tabernacle.  Luckily we did stop in time.  That was the past flash.  The next flash was seeing her taking off down the middle aisle of Target, yelling "Yee Hah!" and me "running" after her.  What a disaster that could have been.  Thank God I had shut the machine off before I got off.    

No comments:

Post a Comment