Friday, October 1, 2010

A Peanut Butter Morning

I missed posting last night because when I was finally able to sit down and collect my thoughts, the internet explorer was down.  So, I just went to bed. 

Yesterday was a very long, hard day.  We arrived at the doctor's office at 8:40 a.m. and finally left at 5:00 p.m.  All told, Bill had 6 hours of infusions - about 6 different kinds, 2 of them being very potent chemo.  About 1 hour into just a diuretic, Bill started having chest pains.  Iv's were halted, the doctor was called and nurses scrambled.  Thankfully, the pain left after about 10 minutes, and the doctor felt it was safe to continue.  He withheld the 3rd chemo because it can be cardiac toxic.  A scary situation.  Now another trip to the cardiologist next week!

The side affects of these chemos can and most likely will be severe.  Thus far, Bill has only had minor pain and fatigue.  Oh, also hiccups.  For the pain - tylenol.  For the fatigue - a nap.  For the hiccups - PEANUT BUTTER.  Can you believe it?  A spoonful of peanut butter halts the hiccups!  At least for Bill. 

He's also enjoying his new look - being bald.  He said he should have done this years ago.  (That's what I've been telling him for years, but did he listen to me?  NO!)  I'm grateful for Bill's humor and attitude as he lives through this nightmare. 

Jon and I are having difficult days.  I know that Bill is the one with cancer and must go through the physical and mental aspects of this situation, but watching him go through it is taking a toll on us.  Yesterday was very hard for me as I sat in the infusion area and watched all the people - young and old - male and female - coming in for various treatments.  Most of them alone.  My heart was heavy for those who walk this road alone.  May God give them the comfort and support that they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment