Monday, February 29, 2016

Sharing A Piece of My Heart Tonight

Jessie went to the Library this morning with Rachel and she was able to file a few DVD's with a little bit of help from Rachel. She said that she was a bit nervous at first but then was OK. She seems happy in this picture, anyway. I am so pleased that she is able to volunteer time to "work". This will give her a greater purpose in life.


As you may recall from last night's post I said that I had cried a lot at the last episode I watched of Signed, Sealed, Delivered last night.. What I didn't write was that it was about two special needs young adults, the girl having Down Syndrome.

When parents have special needs babies they go through a myriad of feelings. Happiness, sadness, grief, anger, questioning. When Jess was born, one of the things I grieved was that she'd never go to school with her brother, who is only 2 years older. Then as she got older, we realized that she wasn't high functioning and would need constant monitoring throughout her life. I believe we've dealt well with all that comes with having a special needs child. Yet, every once in awhile, something triggers an emotion long thought buried.

Last night's episode was about these two (high functioning) special needs adults who wanted to get married. I cried because I knew that Jessie would never get married. Never have any babies. Never be able to do many things that others can do, like the actors on that episode.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not feeling sorry for myself, or Jessie.  I love my daughter just the way she is. She is a precious young woman who loves life and gives such love to others. I praise God for her and for my son. I have no greater joy than being a mother. God gave me the desires of my heart: to be married and be a mother. I thank Him may times for this blessing. Tonight I just wanted to give you a piece of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nancy - been meaning to email you and I will - just seem to be trying to get caught up. I so love this post. God gave Jesse the perfect mom, dad and brother - I know that you feel so very blessed to have her and she is so blessed to have you. You have opened my eyes to kids with special needs. Signed, Sealed, delivered is a tough one to watch. I know you are going into a week of memories - some good, some not, and wanted to let you know you are all being covered in prayers and love. Like you, I am so proud of Jesse and her new job. with love, becky

    ReplyDelete