Monday, March 8, 2021

9 Years Ago Today

Nine years ago in the late afternoon I was working at my computer on a Memorial video for Bill's (up-coming) funeral. Diane was upstairs with Bill. Chris was in the kitchen preparing dinner. Jon was in his room and Jessie and Debbie were in her room. Mom Sutton was where she always was - in her chair in the living room. A little after 5:00 I heard Diane running down the hallway calling for Jon. Bill had stopped breathing. We all ran to the bedroom and were there for his final agonal breath. 

I remember this as if it were 9 days ago and not 9 years. I gave him a final kiss and removed his wedding band. I had put it on and I was going to be the only one to take it off. 

It was a warm week, just like it was today and predicted to be the rest of this week. It rained the day of his funeral. Bill liked rain. Luckily it had stopped before we went to the cemetery for the final prayer. No one wore coats. It was that nice.

Fast forward 9 years. We 3 are doing very well. We talk about Bill all the time and many days Jessie watches home videos and we see AND hear Bill. Some days I like to watch them. Some days not so much. 

God has been SOOO faithful in taking care of us. He has given Jon and I wisdom when we needed it regarding finances and repairs on the house. He has provided people to help me in various ways. But most importantly, He has given me peace and comfort when I needed it. He's always been there for me and I know He will always be. 

I'm thankful that I will see Bill one day again. He's alive and well. He's in Heaven with Jesus and waiting for us. When Jessie asks about Daddy and what he's doing, I always tell her that Grandma Jonas is probably chasing him and Jake. Grandma can run now. Jessie laughs when she imagines Grandma chasing her Dad. 

I'm thankful for the 28 1/2 years of marriage. I'm thankful for all the memories and especially for all the pictures I have to look at and remind me of what was a good life with Bill. I think of my life in three phases: before Bill, with Bill and after Bill. 

See you soon, Willie!



No comments:

Post a Comment