Monday, August 25, 2014

See You Later, Don! Say Hi To Bill For Us !!!!!

I was able to go to church yesterday because Rachel worked since I have extra hours for my shoulder surgery through September.  Rachel and Jessie took me and Doreen brought me home.  I could get used to all this chauffering!

This past Wednesday morning a member of our church and a good friend of Jon's and mine passed away from heart failure caused by MS.  (The picture is one from a couple years ago I took from FB.)  He was 48 years old and his wife, Anne, and their 5 adopted children and his one daughter, Charity, are heart broken. Not to mention all the family and friends he has left behind all over the world.  Doreen took me to the funeral home yesterday and we waited a half hour to make it to the front.  Jon stopped in after work - about 8pm - and couldn't get to the front.  He came home and paid his respects this morning before the funeral.  What a tribute.  Being in that room was hard for me, as it was the same room that Mom and Bill were in.  Several times I had to take deep breaths and remind myself to concentrate on the present.

Today was the funeral.  Jon had to work but he called in and we went together.  The church was packed and the service lasted 1 1/2 hours.  On the way out Jon said, "That was the best funeral I've ever been to!"  It was a beautiful celebration of a life well lived for Christ.  It truly was a wonderful service.

We didn't stay for the dinner but instead came home and got Jessie and Diane (who took the day off work to be with Jess) and went to Chili's.  It was just too funny watching Jessie devour the chips and avacado dip, then her chicken strip dinner (we shared it).  She gave 2 thumbs up and even did a happy dance in her seat!

How am I doing with my shoulder?  I'm not in any pain, just carrying around this annoying immobilizer is irritating. When I'm home and sitting down I undo the straps.  In church and at the funeral I kept them attached and that bothered me quite a bit.  When I got home today, Jon hooked me up to the ice machine.  I played on the iPad for a bit then took a nap.  I think I was in it for 3 hours.  It takes me longer to do things. It used to take me a half hour to get ready in the morning, now it takes me a full hour.  Dishes take longer still.  BUT, I can do it all - almost - myself.  So, I'd say I'm doing good.  Thanks for all your prayers and notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment