Monday, April 16, 2012

Meltdowns

Bob came over at 9:30 to discuss and begin our new "utility room".  While we were in the basement, which by the way had been totally dry before yesterday's torrential rains, he noticed a huge water problem where water was pouring in from a pipe that was from ????  He diverted it into one of our 3 sump pumps. 

At 10:00 I had a 1 1/2 hour annual assessment meeting for Jessie from the county to renew her services for another year.  From that I went upstairs to begin paperwork that should have been done on Friday.  At 1:00 when Debbie was getting ready to leave, we lost power, which really wasn't surprising because of the high winds.  Jon was out so I had him pick us up a special lunch (I cancelled Girls Day Out) and by that time an hour had passed and still no power.  At that moment I remembered the water in the basement and went to check.  Sure enough, one sump pump had already overflowed and the other one was on its way.

I am so thankful that Jon was home and he has alot of his dad's brains.  We got out the generator, several large extension cords and went to the basement to figure out how to get them up and running.  Now, you might be saying that I'm smart too.  Not.  Aloud I prayed that God would give Jon the knowledge he needed to figure it out and that he wouldn't be electrocuted.  Jon says:  "Mom, think about it - there's no power!"  Right.

We plugged in two sump pumps, had just finished pulling out the refrigerator and getting that hooked up, finished for the hundredth time telling Jessie she couldn't watch iTunes on her iPad because there wasn't any power, when the power came back on.  OK - reverse everything.

Lois brought a couple pizzas for dinner and I made a salad.  Later Jon retreated to his room, Jess wanted to stay in the family room on her iPad and Lois and I watched "We Bought A Zoo" on Jon's new tv in the living room.  Yesterday Jon and I watched "The Iron Lady".  I do not watch tv and I rarely watch movies.  Why did I have to pick 2 (they were both very good) that were totally centered around a person's death.  By the time I finished the zoo one tonight I was near a meltdown.

While I watched Lois leave, Jess got upset with her brother and she began crying so I decided that I would cry with her and get it over and done with.  I handed her a kleenex and I had one and we both had a cry.  Finally I said:  "All done.  No more sad.  Happy now!"  She looked at me, touched my face, looked in my eyes to see that I was serious, we both dried our eyes, held each other for awhile and had a bowl of ice cream ("Death By Chocolate").

No comments:

Post a Comment