Friday, April 6, 2012

An Unexpectedly Hard Day

Our morning began early, as Bill and Billy arrived with a UHaul at 9:15 a.m. to take Mom's belongings to their home up north.  Jon and I had arranged quite a few people here to help and everything was loaded in 30 minutes!  Mom was with us for 19 years, so it is strange to go into three empty rooms.  I didn't think it would bother me or the kids, but I was wrong.

Jon's friend, Jacob, is home for a few days so they had a good time killing zombies and watching tv.  Jess and I went to Wendy's for lunch and then the post office.  Jess spent time out in her swing and I was with her.  I decided that since Jon has to work the next two days, we would go out to dinner.

The restaurant was almost empty.  We chose a booth in the back only to discover that it was right next to the live entertainer.  We moved.  All was well until a family came in with 2 loud children.  I'm not sure who was the loudest - the kids, the singer or Jessie.  Jess was working her way up to a full-blown panic attack.  I finished my meal with my right arm around her, eating with my left hand, one of her arms was clamped to the back of my neck the other the front.  Ever try eating while being stangeled?

By the time we got home, Jon was beside himself with disappointment that we couldn't have a nice family meal out, I was ready to go into a closet and scream, and Jess WAS screaming for food, pop and that she wanted to go outside.  I'm thankful that Jon remembered medication we have for Jess when she gets like this.  I sat on the couch with her for quite awhile.  It seems that the day was hard for her, too.  Seeing all Grandma's stuff leave bothered her, then it led into her wanting her Daddy to give her a hug.  We both cried.  Jon, too, was sad, as his grandma moved in when he was 4. 

Changes.  So many changes in so short a time.  We WILL be OK.  Just going to take a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Many, many changes in a short time - hard for any of us to grasp! Sending you a special hug - today is a new day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many changes in too short of time. Thinking of all of you today and every day. God Bless - Becky

    ReplyDelete