Sunday, March 8, 2015

An Interesting Phone Call

Jess and I were home all day. I haven't been feeling so great. I woke with a very sore right neck. Not sure how or why that happened. I finished gathering income tax items for my appointment this week. Jessie has been doing word searches, playing Apples 2 Apples and watching YouTube.

I received a phone call in the late afternoon from my mother's cousin, George.  He's 93 years old. Several years ago, prior to my mom's death, we went to his house for a large gathering. His first wife of 40 years (then they divorced) had passed away and I think it was a memorial service for her.

Anyway, he called to let me know that his wife of 28 years had passed away in December. She was 30 years younger than him. He never thought he'd outlive her. She was 63. He said that at first everyone was calling him but now no one called. So, he gets out his address book and calls everyone in it, just to talk, especially on Sundays which are the hardest. George even called an old friend he hadn't talked to in 50 years!

I told him it was interesting that he should call me today - the 3rd anniversary of Bill's death. He was shocked when I told him Bill had passed away. He remembered sitting next to Bill at Mom's funeral. For someone 93 years old, his mind is sharp. Sharper than mine. He was so pleased that he called me today. He said that it was God's will.




1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree. God put your phone number right in front of George so that he would call on the day that Bill had entered heaven and God makes no mistakes. How interesting that he would be 93 and outlive his wife who was so much younger. He is also right - many people call at first and then you are on your own. I am trying very hard to remember that when my friends have loved ones go home to Jesus. Happy Day to Jesse and to you and Jon too

    ReplyDelete