Thursday, January 28, 2021

Wednesday and Thursday's Posts

Wednesday was a busy day. Jennifer was with Jessie and I went to Bible Study, the post office, bank and Walgreen's. There was so much mail that it wouldn't fit in our mailbox so they had to rubber band it and put one yellow slip in my box. Jess had a grand time sorting the mail and opening her (weekly home-made) card from Linda (from church).

Chris called in the afternoon and said she had some free time so she wanted to come visit since she was in the Romeo area anyway. I told her to come for dinner. I made beef stew (left overs from a roast beef dinner plus other veggies) and Red Lobster biscuits. 

While we were talking after dinner, I told her she should stay the night. It was cold and dark and she didn't have to be anywhere in the morning so she stayed. That always makes us happy to have company.

This morning, Thursday, we had coffee cake for breakfast, then Chris had an idea for us to go to church and have a tour of the new addition. She called and made the arrangements and the 4 of us (Jon had yesterday and today off) went to Romeo. We showed Chris the new Independent Living building that is being built at Jon's work, she showed us a 30,000 square foot (yes, 30,000 is correct) house that is being built behind Big Red Apple Orchard and we drove by the old Romeo Middle School that is going to be torn down. Then while Chris watched Jessie, Jon and I got a grand tour of the new addition. It reminded me so much of when our past church (currently Stoney Creek Community) built the gymnasium in 2000. We were a huge part of that. When we were finished, we drove through Wendy's to get lunch and we took it up and ate "with the goats." Chris left after we got home and Jon went to Home Depot. I spent the rest of the afternoon rearranging my book cases in the dining room. 

After dinner the 3 of us watched 2 episodes of "To Catch A Smuggler" and ate cheese-a-balls (as Jessie calls them!).

Earlier today when Chris and I were talking I showed her this post from FB and we shared about our childhoods. Soooooo much different that today. When we were growing up in Detroit, I don't think my mom ever checked up on us when we were outside. She could have, but I don't remember her ever wondering where we were. We were either in the back yard, visiting neighbors or riding our bikes. I KNOW I never got a popsicle, though!

When we moved to Shelby Twp., it was the same. Diane and Ed would go outside to play and I don't remember Mom checking up on them. Interesting. I wonder what Diane remembers.

Speaking of memories. Forty-three years ago on this date (1978) was the worse day of my life, up to that point. My dad died. Mom and I took dad to the only hospital at that time around here (St. Joe's on 19 Mile Road). We didn't talk on the way there. He sat in the back. I let him out, watched him walk in the ER door, and that was the last time I saw him alive. He passed away just as soon as we got there. He had his first heart attack when he was 40 and passed away at 50.

It was during the great storm of 1978. A Saturday and we couldn't have the funeral until Wednesday of the next week. Diane and Cal were in Hawaii (Navy) and Ed was in California (Marines). It's amazing how something so long ago can still be so fresh in one's mind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment