Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve Traditions

When I was growing up we always celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve because of my dad's work schedule as a Detroit Policeman.  He was either working or sleeping on Christmas Day.  We began with going to my dad's parents house in the early afternoon, because Santa would have been there already(Grandma and Grandpa were on the early drop-off schedule).  My dad would get us kids into the car plus all the presents and my mom would be the last one to get in the car.  It took her forever!  What I didn't know until years later, was that she was making many trips up and down the stairs to the hiding spot and putting all the presents around the tree so that when we arrived back home, we'd have our Christmas.  (I guess we were on the second early drop-off schedule). 

When I married Bill, we continued the Jonas tradition by being with my family on Christmas Eve and Bill's sister's family (until their move to Georgia) on Christmas Day.  Rarely have we not celebrated with family on Christmas Eve. 

I can count on one hand the number of times we've gone to Christmas Eve service because of our tradition.  After my dad died in 1978, my friend, Sherry, invited my mom and I to her parent's church for service.  The next two times were in 2000 and tonight.  Bill felt well enough that we were able to go and even take my mom, who spent the day with us.  It was very nice and special, with the topic being miracles. 

When Bill was first diagnosed with terminal cancer, I thought that he'd be in Heaven for Christmas.  I praise God for our miracle this year.  Miracles are for the Glory of God, and may this miracle be just that.  Thank God, for our miracle.  We are humbled by your blessing.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all ... a good night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment