Monday, June 17, 2013

Unexpected Storms

Jess and I went out to lunch for Girl's Day Out and made a few stops on the way home.  By the time we returned I was in a lot of pain with my back, so I sat on the couch with a heated rice pack and took pain medicine.  My friend, Doreen, in NJ texted me at 3:17 p.m. to say that they were having unexpected storms with hurricane-force winds.  Knowing how much I dislike storms, she said that I wouldn't want to be there right now. Branches were down and they had no power. I assured her I would be praying.  I was glad I wasn't there.

A little while later I hear the weather sirens go off.  I look outside (to the east) and it was blue skies and sunshine.  I quickly checked my weather app on my iPhone while I walked to the front of the house.  Oh, dear!  It REALLY didn't look good to the north.  Black and questionable swirls.  I had about 10 minutes to clear the closet and made room for 2 chairs and a dog.  Jess and I sat in there for a bit. THANKFULLY, the worst passed over us. 

Lois came for dinner and just before we sat down to visit, it got REALLY dark outside.  Too dark for the time of day.  Another storm!  This one did produce high winds, torrential rains and hail.  I had Jess and Lois in the closet and I was ready to go in if it got worse. Memphis would have been on his own, sad to say.

I'm expecting most of you will be laughing because I take such precautions for storms.  I'm 60 years old and I can honestly say I've NEVER liked them my entire life.  Since I can't get Jess down the basement stairs, we go into the closet that is in the middle of the house, under the stairs.  Today I even made her put her bicycle helmet on.  I put one on, too, and she was having fun banging on my helmet.  I didn't think it was very funny, but I let her have fun because I don't want to transfer my fear to her.  She had her iPad in there and played with that while banging on my head.  When I went outside to let the dog out for the night, the temperature must have been 20 degrees colder than this morning.  No wonder the storms were so severe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment