Sunday, September 28, 2014

Thinking About This Blog

Once again I'm thinking about the usefulness, or importance, of this blog.  I'm sure no one is interested in how many loads of wash I did in a day, or what we ate for dinner.  I certainly won't care when I read these books years down the road (I have my blog put into print every 3 months).  I just don't know.  I enjoy this "diary", but what is it that will be put into print that will be important in months or years to come?  I want it to be important.  I want it to be life changing for others or encouraging to me in the future.

Sue came today for a couple hours to be with Jessie while I went to church.  Jon finished his vacation week in Grand Haven visiting Jacob and Hannah.  He left Friday morning and returned this evening. Church was hard for me today.  I cried several times.  I'm not sure why, as I wasn't sad when I left home.  We prayed collectively at the altar for the Ebola epidemic that is removing thousands from this earth.  We prayed for a miracle.  We believe in miracles.

My heart is in Africa.  Many of you don't know that I was a SST (special short term) missionary to ELWA in Liberia, West Africa for 2 months in 1980.  I did secretarial work at the ELWA (Eternal Love Winning Africa) radio station, hospital and administration building. The same compound where a doctor and a missionary stricken with Ebola were brought to the US for care.

In the picture to the right of me you will see a ham radio.  At that time, that was the only way of communication with the outside world.  I was able to have a ham patch to my mom twice in the 2 months I was there.  Handwritten letters were the norm back then.

Even after 34 years, I still feel that connection to Africa. I also keep in contact with several missionaries that I met through my time there.  It was an interesting time in my life.

Looking at this picture I wish my hair was still as thick and dark as it was then.  The African children who often came to my door selling fruit called me "Missy With Plenty Hair."  I had a perm then and 2 months without a cut or styling looked like I had plenty hair.  Not today!


2 comments:

  1. Love this picture of you - didn't know you had served in Africa! Praying for all those being affected by this yuk disease!!

    Still enjoy reading your blog too! Perhaps you will have grandchildren one day that will enjoy reading this! Had a friend once that started writing in a diary when she was a child - she is now about 88 and while I am not sure she writes daily - she does still write! Not sappy stuff - but the things she did, who she saw etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting about you in Africa. I enjoy reading your blog and you never know who will read your books in the future. I've learned a lot about a child with Downs from you - I just never knew. Have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete