Monday, September 17, 2012

The Wheels On The Bus Go Round And Round

My THANKS to Debbie who arrived at our house at 6:15 a.m. so that Jon and I could be at the Twp. Hall by 6:30 for our day out with the seniors.  Our motor coach left at 7:00 a.m. and we returned at 6:00 p.m.  A very long, but nice day.

We went to Jackson Prison.  Seriously.  The only way you could see what we did today was by a private tour.  The general public is not allowed.  Jackson has the priviledge of housing the two largest walled prisons on the planet.  We began at Michigan's First State Prison (1838-1934), now Armory Arts Village.  We visited a studio and one of several apartments that once housed 36 cells.  (Trust me - this is one place that would NEVER be on my list of places to live.)  Armory Arts Village is listed on MSN in the top 10 most unique buildings worldwide in which to live. 

We also went into the basement where the solitary confinement cells were (4 1/2' by 5 1/2').  So depressing.  Many "criminals" were in there for stealing a loaf of bread or chickens.  No one was segregated by crime.  They were all thrown in together.  A very nasty environment. 

We boarded our bus and went to 7-Block (1934-2007), a fully-intact, closed cellblock at the Jackson State Correctional Facilities. We ate lunch where all the inmates used to eat.  Small square cemented-to-the-floor tables with attached small square seats (and I do mean small).  We were surrounded by the five tiers of galleries (5 stories of cells).  I'm sure Jack Kavorkian didn't eat as well as we did (we saw his cell).

Back on the bus to ART 634, once the famous Jackson Carriage and Wagon Company.  The Old Prison Gift Shop was available to us (now, you can't go on any trip and not have something to buy, can you?) as well as their Bohemian-style cafe, the CUPPA. 

When we returned to Washington Jon and I had breakfast at the Garden.  Jess was very happy to see us.  Once again, THANKS, Debbie.

By the way, today would have been my
29th Wedding Anniversary. 
 
Thanks, Jon, for helping me keep up the tradition of celebrating my anniversary to your father.  He would have enjoyed today's trip.  I appreciate you going with me and the rest of the old people!  You're a great son!  Love you, Jon!

No comments:

Post a Comment