Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Special Sunday

This is Jon's weekend off, so he went to first service and I made it to the second.  We had a guest speaker, Dwight Robertson, who we've had speak numerous times over the years.  His father was pastor of our church years ago, after Dwight and his siblings were out of the home.  Dwight is the founding president and CEO of Kingdom Building Ministries in Colorado.  This morning's sermon was a culmination of a special conference weekend where he spoke Friday night and on Saturday.  (I didn't attend.  My loss.)  His topic, like the title of his book, "You Are God's Plan A (and there is no plan b)" was excellent.  It went along with my personal Bible reading and books I have been reading on prayer.  In a nut shell, we are to be specific in our prayers.  Let's go beyond the "Bless them, Lord!" prayers to ... whatever the Holy Spirit lays on your heart to pray for them.

Even before the service began, God answered a specific prayer that I prayed on the way to church just for me.  I believe I shared with you before that being in church is where I feel the loneliness and miss Bill the most.  I rarely see many friends on Sunday at 11:30.  Today I prayed that God would have people that I know there and make me feel like I belonged, as well as "could someone please sit with me?"  You need to know that before I had gone 5 feet into the sanctuary, I was hugged by at least 5 people - hard hugs - and genuine love and friendship on their faces for me!  When I went to my seat, I was alone - UNTIL someone said, "Are you saving this seat?"  A long-time friend, Luz, sat with me this morning !!!!!!!!!!  I told her she was an answer to my prayer for someone to sit with  me.  She said she was in the back and saw me and decided she'd come and sit with me.  She's never done that before.  THANK YOU, JESUS!

Not only was the entire service a blessing, God cared enough about me to provide hugs and a person to sit with today.  How much more blessed could I be? 

After church the kids and I went to Kwong Tong Palace for a chinese lunch.  This restaurant has been there for over 30 years.  Jon hadn't been there in years and Jess and I hadn't been there in over a year, I think.  After we were finished we walked next door to "the zoo", as Jess calls it.  It's Kee's Pets and Aquarium.  They have a wonderful fish display - they've recently expanded into the next store over and made a larger showroom. 

Jon worked in his bedroom, Jess worked on her beads and I worked on resting.  I iced my knees and took a nap.  Right now Jess is laughing hysterically to an app on her iPad where you speak into it and it repeats what you say only like the chipmunks!  It is VERY funny.

Thank you, God, for a very nice day, and for caring for us.  You are worthy to be praised - at all times.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment