Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pastor Garry

This afternoon we had our annual business meeting at church.  Rachel came and stayed with Jess while Jon and I went.  After the meeting our church honored Pastor Garry, who is retiring after 45 years in the ministry and the last 14 years at our church.  There was a nice dinner then a "roast" for him.  It was so well attended, as Pastor Garry has touched so many lives in these past years. 

I know from my family's view point, he was at the hospital almost every time someone was in for a test, an ER visit, or surgery.  He made scores of home visits.  He gave so many words of encouragement and prayed for my family maybe even more than I have. 

He came often to sit with Bill.  Sometimes they laughed, Bill shared about his feelings, and sometimes they just cried together.  He gave my mom's funeral, as well as Bill's.  He's been what I would call the epitome of a servant of Christ, who I am honored to call FRIEND.

His presence as an acting pastor in our church will be sorely missed.  However, they will still be attending, as they have no plans to move.  He was also bestowed the honor of Pastor Emeritus.  He was deeply moved at this honor.  He certainly deserves it. 

I'm glad that we are not saying goodbye to him as he retires.  This would be another great loss to our family.   

No comments:

Post a Comment