Tuesday, December 3, 2013

An Unexpected Set Back

For those of you that read my daily posts, you've noticed that I haven't been on here since Thanksgiving Eve.  Thanks, "Anonymous", for your nice note!

For the past several weeks I have dealt with pain in my left foot (same leg as surgery).  It had gotten so severe that by Thanksgiving night I could barely walk.  The kids and I were invited over to Don and Rox's for dinner, which was super nice and appreciated. 

Friday morning I decided to  go to our family doctor.  From xrays he couldn't see anything that would indicate a break in a bone.  Even though I didn't have any symptoms of a blood clot, he sent me to the hospital for a doppler of my leg.  Well, not only do I have 1, I have 3 DVT's (deep vein thrombosis, or in other words, the bad blood clots that can travel to your heart and lungs). 

They sent me directly to the ER and I was in the hospital from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon.  I was on strict bed rest - absolutely no walking.  Since I have no pain from the DVT's or my foot if I don't walk on it, I was feeling OK.  It was a very aggrevating couple of days.

Since it happened so quickly, and no one was scheduled to be with Jess on Saturday or Sunday, I had to scramble from the hospital and arrange aides, friends and my sister to be with her.  I am so thankful that God got it organized.  My friend, Lois, would come at 6:00 a.m. until an aide could come at 8:30 a.m.  (This was Jon's 3-day weekend to work and couldn't take off.)  For the two days, Jess had 3 or 4 people each day care for her for a period of time.  She had a great time with each person, but wasn't really taking it very well by bed time.  We Face Timed on Sunday night which helped.   

When I finally got home, she was absolutely nasty to everyone until she broke down and cried.  I held her and comforted her the best I could.  There wasn't time to perpare her - I simply went to the doctor and didn't come home for 3 days.  It was rough on all of us.

So, I'm home, with restrictions until I can see numerous doctors. Tomorrow I have 2 appointments that Jon will take me to.  I still can barely walk.  About 3-5 minutes before the pain becomes unbearable.  I'm either walking on a blood clot (one is behind my knee, in the calf and under the heel) or something else.  We'll see.  Prayers would be appreciated.

More tomorrow, as I need to head upstairs. 

2 comments:

  1. I was afraid you had something occur. Thank heaven you went to the doctor. Prayers for your continued improvement daily. Warm wishes from cold Montana. Currently -12 wind chill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You be sure to do exactly what the doctor tells you. That is sad for Jess - I know she was scared and out of her comfort zone. We continue to pray for you. I see Anonymous send warm wishes from cold Montana- 12 wind chill. Well, I send warm wishes from North Carolina where it is to be 76 tomorrow & Friday and then 39 on Saturday and Sunday.....Blessings to you and those you love Becky

    ReplyDelete