Monday, October 28, 2013

Information Overload

I have to admit that today was a very trying day for me emotionally.  I was glad Jon was with me and kept encouraging me.  I had a 9:30 a.m. appointment at the hospital for pre testing (for my total knee replacement surgery on November 7), which only took about a half hour and went well.  I had a very caring nurse, Cookie, who even gave me a hug when I left. 

Next was the 2-hour long class for hip and knee replacements.  By the time the lecturer was done, I was, too.  I turned to Jon and said, "I don't think I signed up for this!"  I was on information overload and wanted to get out of that room as soon as I could!  The last time I had major surgery was 25 years ago.  Six weeks after Jon was born I had my gall bladder out.  I have the 12" scar to prove it.  Back then you went in and you knew what type of surgery you were having but they didn't share much.  Now, I think we're told TOO much. The only thing that was lacking today was the graphic pictures from the operating room.  Thank you, Jesus!

There was one nice thing about today's lecture and that was the fruit and the super huge oatmeal raisin cookies they had for break time.  I also thought there were large, wrapped individual chunks of cheese on the table, too, but they turned out to be the scrub we need to wash with the night before our surgery!!!!  Jon laughed quite a bit over my mistake. 

We grabbed a quick Wendy's lunch and made it to my next appointment at 1:30 p.m. for my right shoulder.  The same doctor that is doing my knee surgery also does shoulders (how convenient).  An ultra sound "suggests that there is a tear in the miniscus", so I'll have to have an MRI to make sure.  Because my knee comes first, he gave me a shot of cortisone to help the pain, and I'll schedule an MRI in about 6 months.  Yippee!

Jess had a good day.  I'm glad someone did.  Jane took her to an exercise class, the park, Ocean Breeze for lunch then back home to hang out and play games.  Jane looked tired when she left and Jess was just beginning to wind up just for me.  She screamed at me for the next hour or so.  I know she's upset about Debbie not being here and about me going to have surgery, and she can't tell me how she feels, but yelling at me is getting old.  Very old.   

1 comment:

  1. Hope today is better for Jess. Have you worked out who will stay with her since Debbie is still out? We are praying for you. Becky

    ReplyDelete